The Conservatives are building an economy that delivers for people who work hard and play by the rules.
We're ensuring the welfare system provides a safety net for those in need - and rewards the willingness to work - by:
- Capping benefits - so no out-of-work household can claim more in benefits than the average family earns in work
- Stopping benefits rising faster than wages - to ensure that it always pays to work
- Introducing Universal Credit - so it always pays more to be in work than on benefits
We're also controlling immigration by:
- Clamping down on benefits tourism and health tourism - so that we only welcome those who want to work hard and contribute to our society
- Cutting net immigration from outside the EU to levels not seen since the late 1990s - to ease pressure on the schools and hospitals that all hardworking taxpayers rely on
- Introducing a new citizen test with British values at its heart
Same Old Labour
In government, Labour presided over a something-for-nothing benefits culture and lost control of immigration.
Even now, Labour say benefits should rise faster than wages and have opposed every step we've taken to control immigration.
The choice is clear: while Labour let down those who played by the rules, the Conservatives are standing up for hardworking people.