This is West Lancashire's most northerly parish and has a lengthy foreshore along the south bank of the River Ribble. It also extends along the west bank of the river Douglas.
Eskyth, as in Hesketh Bank, is a Scandinavian word for racecourse. Not that there is a racecourse in Hesketh Bank today but many years ago a bygone lord of the manor held horse races on the sands where the Douglas joins the Ribble. This is now predominantly a market gardening area, once largely waste and marshland, washed up at high tide by the sea. "Becconsall' is derived from beacon - as of the type used in shipping navigation.
The chapel of Becconsall was erected in 1764 and stands on slightly rising ground on the left bank of the Douglas near a bend of the river, which flows past the building on the south and east.
To view Hesketh with Becconsall's official website, click HERE
To view a map of Hesketh with Becconsall Parish, click HERE
- The above information has been taken from West Lancashire Borough Council's website.